This post may contain affiliate links – read our full disclosure
How to Make Honey-Cranberry Cookies
Honey is a sweet golden treat made by honey bees. Thank goodness bees make honey because we use it in so many ways. One of the most popular ways to use honey is in baking. Homemade cookies are a special treat that just can’t be duplicated by cookies from a bag. Enjoy this easy honey recipe and learn how to make honey cranberry cookies for your family.
Simple tasty homemade cookies – who doesn’t love them? By using honey and less regular sugar, these cookies are sweet and moist. But let’s be real, honey is sugar – so everything in moderation.
Baking Cookies with Honey
Honey is a popular ingredient in the baking industry. The level of fructose in pure honey makes it sweeter than some other types of sugar.
Honey also adds moisture to baked goods. And, you can use different varieties of honey to give distinct flavors to your food.
The color and flavor of various honeys are different due to the nectar sources used by the bees to make honey.
Orange Blossom Honey will have a distinctly different flavor that Clover Honey – therefore these flavor tones can show up in the finished baked goods too.
Homemade Cookies are Easy to Make
One of the reasons I love making cookies is that they are hard to mess up. Many recipes can be baked in bar form or scooped onto the cookie sheet in lumps. That’s my kind of baking!
Now of course, everyone can appreciate the beautiful shapes of hand rolled cookies too. But this honey cranberry cookie recipe is the scoop and dump variety – though you could make it into a bar as well!
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 1/4 cup of raw honey
- 1 Tablespoon of vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup of white chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. With an electric mixer combine the softened butter, brown sugar and honey. Mix until well combined, then add the vanilla and egg. Stir until creamy smooth.
- Sift together the flour and baking soda. Then slowly add the flour mixture to the creamed sugar mix. Continue until well blended.
- Stir in the cranberries and white chocolate chips with a large spoon. When well mixed, drop tablespoon sized mounds of cookie dough on a greased baking sheet. Cookies should be spaced a couple of inches apart-they will spread.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 14-16 minutes, until the edges are brown and the tops are set.
- Remove from oven and leave on baking sheet for a few minutes until they begin to harden. Move cookies to a cooling rack to complete cooling. Store in a sealed container.
These cookies tend to be thin. You might plump them up a bit by keeping the butter cool.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 131Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 19mgSodium: 100mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 1gSugar: 14gProtein: 1g
Keep Honey in Your Pantry
Honey is the perfect long term storage product for your pantry. You should always have a jar on hand.
If you keep a jar for a while, your honey may crystallize – or turn to sugar. This is a natural process and does not indicate spoilage.
Don’t throw crystallized honey out. It is not ruined. You can safely decrystallize your solid honey and use it in baking, coffee, tea etc.
Final Thoughts on Making Honey Cookies and Other Sweet Treats
While baking is the most poplar way to use honey – well, besides just eating it straight off the spoon – there are still other ways to use honey in the kitchen.
Honey is a natural sweetener that’s been around for thousands of years. It has been used in many types of food prep. Don’t miss out on this recipe for Honey Apple Butter that you can make in a crockpot and can it for long term storage if you wish.
Honey is not just for dessert either. There are many main dishes that make use of honey such as this Honey Chicken Stir Fry. A great way to get a little honey in your diet.
This simple cookie Honey Cranberry Cookie recipe was made using raw honey . Try the recipe with different types of honey and see the flavor difference for yourself..