Baking is one of the easiest way to create homemade desserts for the family. However, it can be rather intimidating. It does not have to the scary. This recipe for honey pumpkin pie is quick and easy. You only need a few ingredients and you will not have a large number of pans to clean up when you are finished.
Using Honey to Sweeten Pumpkin Pie
Honey from bees is one of the most interesting ways to add sweetness to foods and drinks. It is a natural sweetener and contains many healthful benefits – especially in the raw form.
May contain affiliate links. Read my privacy and affiliate disclosure policy for more info.
In addition to some vitamins and minerals, honey has phytonutrients. They are responsible for giving honey some remarkable properties. It is an antioxidant and is also antibacterial and antifungal.
Using honey in food recipes, is a common practice. It is very easy to work with and lasts forever when properly stored.
In fact, many cooks value the use of honey in baked goods. It adds flavor and helps maintain moisture so your breads, cookies and pies don’t dry out.
In making our honey pumpkin pie, we are combining the beneficial properties of honey with pumpkin. Pumpkin is nutrient dense and contains large amounts of vitamin A and is antioxidant rich.
Making a pumpkin pie may seem like a big deal but it really is not. Your family will think you spent hours creating this delicious dessert. The ingredients are simple and you may already have some of them in the pantry.
- canned pumpkin
- sweetened condensed milk
You could use fresh pumpkin for your pie if you have access to a nice one. Create a puree of the pulp after removing the peeling and seed.
However, canned pumpkin works just fine. One can is enough to make 1 deep pie or 2 regular sized ones.
Don’t go looking for it in the canned vegetable section of the grocery. Look for pure pumpkin – you will find it in the baking section. It is located among the various pie fillings.
While we often think of honey as one standard ingredient, this is actually not true. There are many varieties of honey that you can purchase. For honey pumpkin pie, regular wildflower honey works very well.
There is no reason to spend extra for a variety such as orange blossom honey or tupelo. However, if you have that on hand – it will work too. I always favor raw honey when possible. Personally, I would avoid a strong honey like buckwheat. It might overpower the pumpkin flavor.
Sweetened Condensed Milk
This ingredient is a common one in baking. If you are not familiar with it, pay close attention to the label. It is not the same as evaporated milk that is also popular in recipes.
This product is much richer and thicker. As the name infers, it is also sweet. You only need a small can as some of the liquid will come from the regular 2% milk. This allows you to save a few calories.
Three large eggs are required for this pie recipe. They should be at room temperature before adding them to the mix. If you use fresh eggs from your chickens, crack them individually to make sure each one is good before combining in the mixing bowl.
Putting it All Together
1. This is one of the easiest recipes for pumpkin pie. There is nothing to melt or chop before adding to the mix. While the oven is preheating, add all of the ingredients to your mixing bowl.
2. There is no need to use a mixer if you have a kitchen whisk on hand. A through whisking is sufficient to combine everything together. If you choose to use a hand mixer, only use it on stir. Do not whip the ingredients. Having some solid bits is normal for pumpkin pie.
3. If you are using a frozen crust, keep it frozen until you are ready to fill. Place it on a flat pan that will provide support and make moving it easy.
4. Add the pumpkin filling mixture to your pie crust, filling almost to the rim. You should have enough for 1 deep dish or 2 regular sized pie crusts.
Before putting into the preheated oven, use strips of aluminum foil to cover the edges of the crust. Otherwise they will burn in the time it take the pie to cook. If you have a pie ring – use that instead to protect your edges.
Pay attention to the oven temperature suggestions in the recipe. We start with a hot temp and then turn it down to 350° F.
- When the cook time is up, use a knife to test your pie. When inserted into the middle of the pie, the knife should come out clean. If not, cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Don’t be alarmed if your pie puffs up a lot during baking. It can look alarming but it will settle back down once it is out of the oven.
- For best slicing, let the pie cool before cutting into serving pieces.
Now enjoy your homemade nutritious honey pumpkin pie. Top with whipped cream before serving if you wish but it is also delicious plain.
Whether you want to whip up a honey bee latte or make a batch of cookies, you are sure to find that honey is a useful ingredient to keep on hand.
Honey Pumpkin Pie Recipe
- 1 Baking Sheet
- 1 can canned pumpkin – 15 oz
- 1/2 cup Honey
- 1 can Sweetened Condensed Milk – 5 oz
- 1/2 cup milk 2%
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 2 pieces 9" pie crust frozen
- Preheat your oven to 425° F while preparing the ingredients. Crack 3 eggs into a medium sized mixing bowl. They should be at room temperature.If you use your own chicken eggs, it might be advisable to crack them into a single bowl first before adding them together. This gives you a chance to see any problems and reduce the chance of getting bits of shell in the mixing bowl.
- After properly measuring out your ingredients, this honey pumpkin pie recipe could not be any easier.Just combine everything together, to the eggs add – sweetened condensed milk, honey, 2% milk, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, salt and canned pumpkin.Stir well until thoroughly combined but do not whip the mixture.
- If using frozen (ready to use) pie crusts, keep them frozen until you are ready to add the filling. Once the oven reaches 450° F. Place the pie crust pan on a baking sheet. This will help support the pie tin.
- Pour the pumpkin pie filling into the crust – almost to the top. If you are using regular 9" crusts – you should have enough filling to make 2 pies.
- Before placing in the oven, protect the crust rims with a pie ring or strips of aluminum foil. This keeps them from burning.
- Place your pie in the hot oven. Set a timer to 14 minutes – pay attention!! We only cook at this heat for a few minutes – it helps to set the crust.After 14-15 minutes, turn the oven temperature down to 350°F and set the timer for 30 minutes. Check the pie for doneness by inserting a knife into the filling – if it comes out clean – the pie is done.
- Remove from oven and let pie cool thoroughly before cutting.