This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclosure.
If you are looking for a new way to enjoy shrimp that does not involve batter and a big pot of grease- this may be it. This recipe for Honey Shrimp Stir Fry with Lime is quick and easy to make. Not only that, it is delicious too! You do not have to be a gourmet chef to get great results. Raw honey adds just the right amount of sweetness without over-powering the taste of shrimp.
Honey Lime Shrimp – Healthy & Delicious
If you only like popcorn shrimp battered and deep-fried, I understand you. Those little morsels are delightful when cooked properly.
However, sometimes it’s nice to have a lighter dish and stir-fry with no bread batter is the way to go. In this recipe, it’s the honey sauce that gives special flavor to the dish.
When ready, I remove the shrimp from the sauce. However, thanks to a suggestion from my husband, in the future, I will reserve some of the cooking sauce for dipping! It was that good.
- lime juice
- red pepper flakes
Shrimp: You can use fresh or frozen-thawed shrimp in this recipe. Most people opt for the deveined and shelled version because who wants to do that job?
But if you don’t mind – you can peel and devein your own. Shrimp can be a bit expensive so shop around and watch for a sale.
Honey: Any variety of raw honey works well. Regular wildflower honey is the most common variety used in cooking.
Honey is sticky but you can keep the mess at a minimum. When measuring honey for recipes, coating the measuring spoon or cup with oil helps the honey slide right out! This makes using honey in cooking much easier.
Lime Juice: Fresh squeezed lime juice is great but for this recipe – the little green bottle version works just as well. But, I do like to use fresh lime when possible – they look very nice on the plate.
Step by Step
1. Raw frozen shelled and deveined shrimp were used in this recipe. I forgot to thaw them the day before. 🙁 After rinsing with cool water, drain the excess and set shrimp aside.
If this happens to you, remove the frozen shrimp from the bag. Place them in a bowl of cold water. Let them sit for about 20 minutes – changing the water once. Let them drain. Mine were just fine.
2. Next, saute the garlic in oil and butter in a large skillet.
3. Add the drained shrimp and cook for several minutes – stirring as needed.
4. Combine honey, lime juice and red pepper flakes and blend well. Add to the shrimp cooking in the skillet. Continue to simmer until the sauce thickens to the desired consistency. Remove from heat and add lime slices and parsley if desired.
What to Serve With Honey Shrimp
There are many different sides you could serve with this honey and shrimp dish. We like angel hair pasta with butter and Parmesan cheese. But, any creamy pasta dish is suitable.
And, we often use fruit salads or roasted veggies (such as red bell peppers or potatoes) as a side for our stir fry dishes.
Rice of course is a popular addition to the meal. And, green bears, snap peas, cauliflower rice, asparagus or mushrooms are delicious.
Store leftovers (if you have any) in an airtight container in the refrigerator and enjoy within 2-3 days.
Enjoy this easy to make dish with your family. It is a great way to offer something different than chicken nuggets. Once you get the kids to try it, the honey flavor will likely make them a big fan.
In a hurry? Keep some frozen shrimp on hand and whip up a quick dish when you need one fast. This is a good option for a quick weeknight dinner when you don’t have time for a lot of prep work.
Add this one to your book of easy honey recipes because you will want to make it more than once. If you want to add just a bit of zazzle to the flavor – a teaspoon of ground ginger will work well.
Hey, while you have those fresh limes on hand – what about this easy honey lime fruit salad as a side dish!
And don’t forget the specialty honey products you can create. Enjoy the bite of Jalapeno Hot Honey – it is so easy to make. And for those with a sweet tooth – this rich cinnamon honey butter is sure to please.
Honey Shrimp Stir Fry
- 1 pound deveined and shelled shrimp fresh or frozen-thawed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lime juice
- dash of salt
- dash of red pepper flakes
- chopped parsley – if desired
- Remove shrimp from packaging and rinse well under cold water. Set aside and let them drain in a colander.
- Preheat a large skillet to medium high heat. Add the olive oil, butter and minced cloves of garlic. Saute until the garlic is slightly brown.
- Stir in the drained shrimp – mix well with melted ingredients. Cook for 3-4 minutes stirring a few times.
- Combine the honey, lime juice and red pepper flakes and pour into the shrimp mixture. Cook until the sauce begins to thicken and the shrimp are tender.
- Remove from heat – add slices of lime and stir. Add a chopped parsley garnish and serve immediately.