This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclosure.
You can make your own honey roasted almonds at home for a fraction of the cost of commercial brands. They are healthier than some snacks and guaranteed to disappear quickly due their great salty/sweet flavor. Almonds are one of the most popular nuts that people choose for snack time.
Are Honey Roasted Almonds Healthy?
Honey roasted almonds are a healthy snack when consumed in moderation. In fact, almonds contain healthy monounsaturated fats and omega-3 fatty acids.
Unsaturated fats help your body absorb vitamins and minerals. They also contain fiber which is great for your digestive system.
Almonds are native to the Middle East but the United States is now the largest producer of almonds in the world. Also, almond pollination is dependent on one special insect that is dear to me.
Yes, honey bee pollination is needed in the large almond groves. Thousands of colonies are trucked in each year to pollinate the fields of blooming trees.
- whole almonds
- sea salt
Almonds: Most of the raw almonds found in stores have already been blanched. That’s fine. Grab a one pound bag of whole nuts.
Honey: While any type of honey will work for your recipe, I encourage you to seek out raw honey as it retains all its nutritional properties.
Raw honey is not only a sweet treat. It is rich in phytonutrients and antioxidants, as well as, being antibacterial. If honey is stored properly it never spoils.
Sea Salt: What about the salt? Personally, I love the combination of a sweet/salty snack. Though sea salt is not generally better for you than regular table salt – it does have larger crystals.
This may result in your consuming less of it to get the same taste. If sodium is a big concern for you – just omit the salt from the recipe. Otherwise, I recommend a course grind. Store it in an air tight container or it will get lumpy.
Steps for Roasting Raw Almonds
1. Roasting raw almonds is one of the easiest things to do in the kitchen. The major challenge is to be sure to spread the almonds in a single layer on a large baking pan or cookie sheet.
Important tip – start with a cold oven – no preheating! Fill the pan but don’t overcrowd it as we will need to stir the nuts. Bake for 12-15 minutes.
2. Mix liquid ingredients with sugar and sea salt in large saucepan. Stir to combine and melt – bring to a boil.
3. Add baked almonds to the liquid mixture and keep a close eye on them. The liquid needs to come to a boil before adding in your heated almonds.
Now, reduce heat. Cook over low heat until all of the liquid is absorbed. This will take several minutes. Don’t rush things – it will happen. Stir occasionally to prevent burning.
4. Once finished, sprinkle a bit of a sugar salt mixture over the nuts and spread them out in a single layer to cool.
But, I think I went a little over board this time. I believe it works better to spread the almonds out on a pan or flat surface and sprinkle my coating on them.
Don’t forget to stir them a couple of times to prevent major stickiness. Store in an air tight container when cool. Even then, they will be a bit sticky. Go ahead, lick your fingers if they are clean – I wont tell anyone.
Don’t leave that jar of honey sitting in the pantry. There are so many easy honey recipes to try! Your Honey Roasted Almonds are an irresistible snack that will disappear very quickly. In fact, you may have to hide them from yourself!
Another great snack I like to make is dehydrated pineapple slices with honey. I make these when I see pineapple on sale at the markets.
When Fall rolls around and the local apples are available, it’s time for Honey Caramel Apples.
Though almonds or other cashew nuts glazed with honey have a few more calories, they are considered a healthy snack. You will also find that different varieties of honey can vary the flavor of your treats. Honey glazed pecans are also delicious.
This roasted almond recipe is a great option to take with you for camping, hiking or other activities that require energy. And, some people say they make great beer nuts too!
Looking for some easy gift ideas made with honey? Everyone loves delicious cinnamon honey butter – they make great gourmet gifts. Why not pair them with some Honey Caramel Turtles and make a gift box.
Honey Roasted Almonds Recipe
- 2 1/2 cups whole almonds
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon coarse ground sea salt
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Spread almonds in a single layer on an ungreased shallow baking pan.
- Place in cold oven – turn oven to 350 degrees F – cook 12-15 minutes. Then remove and set aside.
- In small bowl, mix together the sugar and coarse sea salt. Mix well to ensure they are well blended.
- In a medium saucepan, add the honey, water, vegetable oil and vanilla extract. Heat to a boil.
- Stir the almonds into the hot liquid and stir. Continue to cook on low heat until all of the liquid is absorbed by the almonds. This should take 5-8 minutes.
- Pour almonds into a medium sized bowl and add the sugar salt mixture. Mix with large spoon to coat the nuts.
- Spread the honey roasted almonds on a sheet of wax paper to cool. Then store at room temperature in a tightly sealed container or bag.